|Central Flying School Association|
MINUTES OF THE AGM OF THE CFSA HELD AT THE RAF CLUB ON 25 OCTOBER 2022
AVM (Ret'd) Gavin Mackay Patron/Chairman
19 other CFSA Members
ITEM 1 - WELCOME BY CFSA PATRON, AVM GAVIN MACKAY
1. The Chairman and CFSA Patron, AVM Gavin Mackay, welcomed everyone to the 2022 AGM and Lunch. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic this was the first AGM since 2019. He relayed the apologies of the CFSA President, Air Cdre David Bentley, who was unable to attend due to work commitments.
ITEM 2 - APOLOGIES
2. Apologies had been received from 19 members; their names are at Annex A.
ITEM 3 - MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
3. RAF College Cranwell Memorial Statue of Lord Trenchard. AVM Mackay stated that the agreed wording concerning Lord Trenchard’s founding link to CFS had indeed been added to the memorial (albeit on the reverse side).
4. Trenchard Trophy. The current situation regarding the award of the Trenchard Trophy on CFS courses was still unclear. Jim Gardiner CFSA Webmaster) holds records of the award winners to date. AVM Mackay and the Hon Sec were planning to visit HQ CFS in the near future to meet with the Commandant; the status of the Trenchard Trophy would be one of the items for discussion, and the information gleaned will be relayed to CFSA members. Action: AVM Mackay and Hon Sec
5. President’s Sword. The recent and current status of the President’s Sword was not known. AVM Mackay agreed to contact Air Cdre Bostock (ex-Commandant CFS), who it was believed may be able to provide an update. Action: AVM Mackay
6. Cheltenham Sword. Beryl Dennett Stannard asked if anyone knew the status of the Cheltenham Sword. As no answers were forthcoming AVM Mackay agreed to enquire about its status at the forthcoming planned visit to HQ CFS. Action: AVM Mackay
ITEM 4 - FINANCIAL REPORT
7. CFSA Fund Balance Sheet. In the absence of the Treasurer, Tim Dean, the Hon Sec introduced the printed CFSA Fund Balance Sheet for 2022, hard copies of which were circulated at the AGM. He explained that the luncheon was being subsidised from the CFSA Fund, and that the only change to routine finance was the doubling of Lifetime Membership from £10 to £20. AVM Mackay commented that it wqs good to see the funds being used rather than just sitting in the bank. Beryl Dennett Stannard proposed that the CFSA Balance Sheet was an accurate record, and this was seconded by Michael Marsden; no objections were received and the Balance Sheet was therefore deemed an accurate and true record. Action: Tim Dean
ITEM 5 - – ENDORSEMENT/RE-ELECTION OF CFSA POSTHOLDERS
8. Both Patron and Hon Sec were content to continue in role for 2023, and as no
objections were received the status-quo would continue for both these positions.
ITEM 6 - CFSA SOCIAL EVENTS FOR 2023
10. CFS Events. AVM Mackay stated that there was normally one CFS occasion per year to which CFSA members were invited. This had formerly been a Graduation Guest Night, but difficulties with co-ordinating CFS course end-dates, and a growing preference amongst Graduates for a more informal style of celebration had resulted in the demise of the Graduation Guest Night and the introduction of an annual CFS Dining-In Night, such as that held in College Hall in May this year, and attended by CFSA members. In addition to this, CFSA members had in recent years been invited to the RAF Cranwell Families Day, with a casual lunch being taken at YHOM. The status of both these events for 2023 was currently unclear, so AVM Mackay undertook to discuss them with Commandant CFS on the forthcoming planned visit. Action: AVM Mackay
ITEM 7 - AOB
12. CFSA Membership. The Hon Sec explained that there appeared to be a ‘gap’ in CFSA membership going back several years, with CFS staff members believing themselves to be a member but in reality not being added to the official database. It was thought that a misunderstanding was the root cause of this and the Hon Sec agreed to pursue the matter at the forthcoming planned visit of AVM Mackay and the Hon Sec to HQ CFS. Action: Hon Sec
ITEM 8 - DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING
13. The Hon Sec agreed to set the date of the 2023 CFSA AGM, with the date and location dependant on the outcome of the investigations described in paragraph 12 above. Action: Hon Sec
Annex A: Apologies for Absence
Annex B: Statement of CFSA Account as at 25 October 2022
ANNEX A TO THE MINUTES OF THE AGM OF THE CFSA HELD AT THE RAF CLUB ON 29 OCTOBER 2019
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Dennis Barber, Denzil Beard, David Bentley, Simon Bostock, Mike Brooke, Tony Clements, Lurline Dickson, Peter Frame, Ivor Gibbs, Tony Gregory, Graham Heath, Melvyn Jenkins, Sir Richard Johns, Olly Knight, Dusty Miller, Monty Montgomery, Dave Roome, David Symons, Paul Whitehead.
ANNEX B TO THE MINUTES OF THE AGM OF THE CFSA HELD AT THE RAF CLUB ON 25 OCTOBER 2022